Re:Pagan vs. Heathen

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:26:52 -0000

> But, again, this is a fantasy world, and the meanings that people
use for
> the words won't be Earth historical, but common meanings applied to the
> setting at hand.

Right, and the Gloranthan meaning is 'non-Malkioni who use wizardry/sorcery magic'.

> Well then using "infidel" is an interesting choice. On the one hand you
> argue that the term fits the west, and then you say that you don't want
> Malkioni to be like the west. Pick a side! :-)

Shan't! :)

Seriously, the Malkioni have aspects of both Islam and Christianity in their make-up. Plus a dash of Judaism, and plenty of stuff that's unique. My inspiration for fleshing them out has come from multiple sources, in an effort to make them not seem like any one thing that exists in our world. Saying that they are European, or Islamic, is not what I want to do here - becuase they're neither.

Although, in the case of the word 'infidel', it's equally appropriate to Christians and Moslems (or was in the middle ages, at any rate), so I don't see it makes a difference either way.

> Right, but you gotta pick a term.

I think I've made the use of the term, as I employ it, quite clear. I've been unclear, I'll happily try and explain it further.

> > > Sure, but what about Hrestoli vs. Rokari, for instance?
Heretical would
> > > apply here, no?
> >
> >Absolutely!
>
> Heretic and infidel are sounding pretty similar here. I'd hazard that
> infidel has a "foreign" connotation? You say "non-Malkioni" but I
think you
> mean foreign Malkioni or something? Are they synonomous? Or can you
give an
> example of the difference?

In Glorantha itself, it's likely that the terminology is a bit confused. Theologians will argue about borderline cases, and so on. They may not bother distinguishing much between theists and animists, even. But, in the written material (at least the material I've written) a 'heretic' is a Malkioni who believes religious doctrines you know to be false, while an 'infidel' is a non-Malkioni who, none the less, avoids pagan or heathen magic.

So, let's say I'm a Rokari. I can make a list as follows:

Orthodox: Rokari
Heretical: Loskalmi, Arkati, Flagellants, etc. Infidels: Vadeli, Brithini, Carmanians, etc. Pagans: Orlanthi, etc.
Heathens: Telmori, etc.

The Loskalmi acknowledge Malkion as the Prophet, sent by God, and who made the ultimate sacrifice to redeem the world. So we admit that they are Malkioni (just as Catholics admit that Protestants are Christian). But they believe loads of other things that are clearly rubbish. So they are heretics, and we denounce them.

The Brithini give a role to Malkion in their myths, but they deny his sacrifice, they do not worship God, and they largely deny his ministry. They are not even Malkioni, as the Rokari understand that term. (Much as Moslems give Christ an important role, but deny that he was the Messiah - they are obviously not Christian).

> If you needed a definitional split, Heretics could be folks who
> claim to be working from the same knowledge base with different
> interpretations.

Understanding that by 'knowledge base' here we are referring specifically to the ministry of Malkion the Prophet. Most Malkioni believe there has been at least one other prophet since, who also contributed significantly to their knowledge of God - but they don't all agree on who that was.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic