Re: Spirit Combat

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 10:25:18 -0400

stephen.royle_at_... wrote:

> This is a question about Spirit Combat not involving Shamans.
>
> If a fear spirit attacks a non-shaman character, what skills can he use to
> defend and attack the spirit?
> Can he use his highest magic ability? Or does he have to use a skill like
> Strong Willed?
> If yes to the latter, if he doesn't have any such skill, is his resistance
> the default 14 or skill default 6, and does that only account for defending
> or defending and attacking?

You use something appropriate like Brave. The Sprit Combat skill is only used to Initiate challenges.

Now, what I do is allow the heroes to do unrelated actions that will at least help them (if thye are really up the creek) or I allow them to continue the contest using their most appropriate skill.

AFAIC, Spirit Combat is used for taking the fight to the spirit. If the spirit disengages from the combat and you don't have the Spirit Combat skill, it gets away to lick its wounds or inflict itself on another victim.

> Finally, Roderick, Robin, bloody brilliant game.
> My campaign starts this Tuesday with 5 newbies who love the flexibility and
> non-description of feats, and they are all unimaginative, stats orientated
> wargamers!!
>
> Finally, I'm at Convulsions this year, so see anybody whose going.
>
> All Hail the Black Moon
> Steve

Good luck with the campaign! Its nice to see some folks who are enthused....

Jeff