Re: Re: Tricky situations List - wounds

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:11:43 +0000 (GMT)

> --- In HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com, Jane
> Williams
> <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:
> > What I tend to do is simply to provide the
> > window-dressing, and then write down the result as
> > new "ability".

> Okay - I would do something similar, but you are
> aspecifically making it a temporary ability?

Sort of. It's an ability that's easily "healed", and there will be plenty of incentive to do so. I'll make the "healing" explicit in the narration so we're sure when it's gone. "The fight is over, you all pick up your dropped weapons." "You get back to base, the healers tend your injuries - except you there with the no-healing geas, you've still got that -3, and the -50%, and the three -1s."

> Otherwise, the problem can be
> explosion of abilities.

Which can mean you tend to forget them, yes, but PBeM means it's easier for me to read through a character sheet and check it every time. Losing five minutes isn't a problem. And I just find it easier to remember something I can "see": a gashed arm is easier than an abstract -3.

> This can be good though (I tend to forget
> all the extra negatives and so on, I tend to forget
> armour an swords, that kind of stuff).

I tend to ignore them unless there's something unusual going on, too. Summed combat abilities in Swords tend to be quite complex anyway, what with gifts and magical weapons and so on: the equipment bonuses do get included as standard, but the "standard" is something we've worked out ages ago. In fact for this mob, representing a -3 by being disarmed wouldn't be a fair representation at all, but it's a useful example for more normal folk. Broken shield, maybe, for us. Trollkin clinging to your leg and gnawing ineffectually at your ankles.