Re: Re: Medicine bundles

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:52:28 -0700

> Rory responds to me:

Well, someone had to... And it's a break from reading the Tricky Situations thread :-)

> So here are questions:
> Is this really the intent of the rule?

I didn't write the rule in question, but yes, that's the intent. The bundle acts as the "SuperFetish" for the Practice group. Losing the Bundle is similar to losing a fetish or charm - you can't contact the spirit(s).

> Can you contact majestic spirits without a medicine bundle, if you were
> never part of a practice group?

Yes. That's how you get a medicine bundle in the first place - a shaman (usually; a practitioner doesn't really have the right abilities to visit a MS) makes some sort of agreement with the MS and creates the bundle. The bundle "ties" part of the MS to the Mortal world and acts as a conduit to the MS (to keep the "Relationship with MS" going).

> What happens if you leave your practice group in the sense of abandoning
> membership, without leaving the practice?

Assuming you go to another practice group for the same practice, you'd simply add a new "Relationship to intercessor" ability to reflect the new Shaman/head practitioner (what happens to your old "Relationship to intercessor" depends on the story...). You'd have access to a different medicine bundle.

If there are no practice groups around to join, you're going to have to contact the MS and create your own Bundle. Lotsa luck.

> Can your practice group eject you in the sense of disrupting your
> relationship with the majestic spirit?

They can eject you and cut off access to *their* medicine bundle. They can send spirits/sendings after you (as if you left the practice, page 141). They can slander your name to other practice groups/shamans so they won't let you join. They *can't* cut you off from the MS (without a *great* deal of effort, I'm sure).

> What happens if you are just off on an adventure, and intend to come back
> some day?
> Does physical distance from the medicine bundle matter if it is not for a
> landscape spirit?

I think it does, but a Shaman should be able to make a "minibundle" for you to take along so that you can still use you Spirits' abilities.

> How does one create a medicine bundle for a majestic spirit? Can an
> individual do it? Can a non-shaman do it?

Yes and yes, but shamans have better abilities to do it (Spirit World Travel gets you to where the MS is so you can start a relationship with it. Shamanic Escape gets you *out* if things go badly). You cna't normally Open Spirit World to the MS's domain and talk directly to the MS.

> I'd assume that a landscape spirit medicine bundle looks pretty much like
> an embodied spirit when you have your spirit face on. What does it look
> like in the spirit world?

Each spirit is an individual. it might be a bunny, a bear, a rock face, or pink bubbles. A Bundle wioould look like all the spirits in it - possibly crammed together. Let your imagination run wild. (you'd probably want to go more with "natural things" rather than demonic images for spirits).

Hope this helps...
RR