Re: Re: Medicine bundles

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:38:07 -0400

Hmm.. seems I really need to re-read the book. :-)

On March 14, 2007 01:52 pm, Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:
> Well, someone had to... And it's a break from reading the Tricky Situations
> thread :-)

*whistles innocently*

> I didn't write the rule in question, but yes, that's the intent. The bundle
> acts as the "SuperFetish" for the Practice group. Losing the Bundle is
> similar to losing a fetish or charm - you can't contact the spirit(s).

I completely missed this when I read the rules. Luckily, the paragraph states that released spirits from fetishes "may not return", which I take to mean that they can. I always thought relationships to the spirits in a fetish were personal, so it never occured to me that losing a medicine bundle would lose all the worshippers their ability to recover spirits.

> If there are no practice groups around to join, you're going to have to
> contact the MS and create your own Bundle. Lotsa luck.

This is a limitation on practitioners I didn't think of. Although I suppose it makes some sense, since there is a strong element of community needed for magic in Glorantha.

> > Can your practice group eject you in the sense of disrupting your
> > relationship with the majestic spirit?
>
> They can eject you and cut off access to *their* medicine bundle. They can
> send spirits/sendings after you (as if you left the practice, page 141).
> They can slander your name to other practice groups/shamans so they won't
> let you join. They *can't* cut you off from the MS (without a *great* deal
> of effort, I'm sure).

So other than the guardian blessings (a-la wyter) what does being cut off from the medicine bundle consist of?

(And I am glad this is less damaging than being cut off from a grimoire, where you lose all ability to use the grimoire.)

> > What happens if you are just off on an adventure, and intend to come back
> > some day?
> > Does physical distance from the medicine bundle matter if it is not for a
> > landscape spirit?

The description of the Moosehead Spur medicine bundle seems to say no. It works at distance to everyone connected to it.

> I think it does, but a Shaman should be able to make a "minibundle" for you
> to take along so that you can still use you Spirits' abilities.

This really does put Animists in a new light, if they need to be close to a medicine bundle for their spirits to work.

One bit I might be unclear on - is it one medicine bundle per majestic spirit? If you are a practice group that uses a core tradition and a helper tradition, would you have two bundles?

LC