Re: HeroQuest for Supers...

From: Paul King <paul_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:18:52 +0100

On 29 Mar 2007, at 08:58, Gary Sturgess wrote:

> Here are some of the reasons:
> - Duplicating heroes. I couldn't see any real way to do this in HQ,
> without some sort of mega handwave augment. There is a similar issue
> with transforming heroes.

If you mean a character creating exact duplicates of him or herself, then I can see that there would be an issue in extended contests (lesser duplicates might be handled as Followers). But that isn't that common a power. Transforming seems less difficult to handle. although completely freeform shapeshifting might produce some counter- intuitive results if not handled very carefully. (And of course the HQ rules include an example of transforming characters - the Puma People)

> - HQ doesn't seem to handle ranged combat particularly well, and much
> of the supers genre contains ranged combat.

Supers fights tend to be more controlled by the needs of the narrative than "realism", so I think that this would be less of a problem in a supers game. It's also quite common for energy blasts to be blocked by opposing energy blasts and such. So I think that the genre tends to reduce the problem.

> - Some concepts (the equivalent of a Hero System Variable Power Pool)
> actively encourage the worst sort of abuses in HeroQuest (as in "get
> one really big ability, and default everything to it").

I think that Affinities might be a good model for really broad abilities.

I think that the major issue, as someone else has suggested, is that HQ is more oriented towards a narrative approach rather than detailed tactical simulation If the latter is what you want then Champions is a fine choice, and probably better than HQ.