Re: HQuestions char creation - initiation and concentration

From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 08:41:54 +0000 (GMT)

> From: Robert McArthur <rjmcarthur_at_...>

> Second, if as a starting character I want to be initiated (concentrated)
> to Orlanth Adventurous, but be a member of Destor, Vanganth and Niskis,
> what sort of costs/benefits would you reckon be appropriate (starting
> char remember, not in-play)? Would this be OK: Destor is the base one
> you join (10% time communal worship, 20% Destor; all three affinities at
> 17), then pay 3/20 to join Vanganth (+10% time) and one affinity (at 17)
> and 3/20 to join Niskis (+10% time) and one affinity (at 17). Total
> cost: 6/20.

ISTR that the rules say that the 20 points are only for improving the abilities in the 100 words / list method and not for creating new skills. So the answer to this would be that you would have to include it in your initial character definition. Though as I understand it being a member of 3 subcults is unusual.

> Third, HQ rules book p109 (and p108) shows a concentration cost in the
> table of 1HP - for in-play concentration. But on p18 in character
> creation it says "If your hero has only one magic keyword, he
> may concentrate his magic at no additional cost." Can I say then that
> concentration, for an "Initiate of Orlanth Adventurous" with only
> subcults as extra magical associations, costs nothing at creation time?

Yes :-)

> For Orlanth, would the keyword be "Initiate of Orlanth" or "Initiate of
> Orlanth (Thunderous)" or "Initiate of Orlanth Thunderous (Destor)"?

I would use "Orlanth Thunderous" as the keyword and list Initiate of Destor as one of the abilities :-)

Gavain