Re: HQuestions char creation - initiation and concentration

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 07:38:52 +0100 (BST)

> p118 of the HQ book says:
> "An initiate can improvise any named feat in the
> affinity (see
> page 120) as an active ability with a �10 penalty
> (�5 if he has
> concentrated his magic use)..."
>
> while the HQ FAQ on glorantha.com says:
> "Now, the player may be right that an initiate
> has it somewhat bad,
> but he can improvise *any number* of feats from
> his own affinities for
> a -5 penalty (if he has concentrated his theistic
> magic)..." (my *s)
>
> So the question I have is whether the improvisation
> is limited to the
> affinity's named feats (rulebook) or *any* feats
> that fit the affinity (FAQ)?

I'm skipping your other questions for now. This has been a tricky one for a while, and it all depends on what you mean by "named".

As with most things, take a look at what's really happening rather than the rules. The in-Glorantha character can't see the rule-book.

The way I see this, the intent is that initiates can't make up their own feats on the spur of the moment, they can only do ones that someone else has made up for them. But who's made them up? The overall religion (ha! like that exists!) that's documented in the rule-book? Your friendly local godi, an NPC under GM control? Another (devotee) PC?

So, in-game, if your player can say "yes, didn't we mention it before, Old Uncle Thorgil taught me the Blow Enemy Away feat, look, there's the relationship with him on my character sheet", I'd let them try to do it, with that -5. Especially if Uncle Thorgil is an NPC who has "Blow Enemy Away" written down in their list of feats!

But, that's just my interpretation of the rules, and I quite agree that an FAQ that apparently disagrees with the core rule-book, with no explanation included, is a bad thing and could be interpreted many ways.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/