RE: Re: HQ Beginner - Character Generation questions

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:01:21 -0500

>From: "Thorsten" <eisigerprinz_at_...>
>
>I see now I was
>thinking to strictly in terms of adhering to strict rules, which is a
>tad bit stupid :D.

Grr, I hate that attitude. I'm personally all about sticking to the rules. Like epoxy. They might not always be the rules in the rulebook, but...

Fortunately, in HQ, the keywords are all just samples. They tell you what a "typical" member of a particular organization is like.

The "mistake" is not having discerned that they are samples... which is a mistake that tons of people make as it's only circuitously mentioned in the rules. My more extensive thoughts on the subject can be found here: http://www.glorantha.com/support/na_keywords.html

>I won't allow this kind of mixing for the first batch of characters,
>though. Merely because I'd like to get a feel for the game & mechanics
>before going exotic.

That's not a terrible idea. Too much freedom at times can actually be quite stifling to creativity. The options in the book will probably be plenty for your players to find something fun to play.

That said... if a player comes up with a concept that doesn't fit into the keywords that exist, consider working out a new one for them.

> > I think that almost everyone allows both of these [common magic &
> > specialized magic] sans listing in narrative.
>
>Alright, about the specialized magic kw I heard different answers, so
>it's just gonna be my personal preference. I'll go with your opinion
>there, because I'd like to have lots of magic in Glorantha.

Actually I think we're all agreed on that point.

>I guess in actual play such abilities will only bring flavor to the
>experience, not detract any by unbalancing the game mechanics.

Since they are no more powerful as ways to resolve a contest, they won't be at all "unbalancing." Just wait until the burglar character beats your Adept into the house by finding a window and climbing inside while your character is casting a spell to unlock the door.

That's not to say that magic isn't special, it is (even if you ignore the active/passive resistance mechanism). It still allows some things just not possible for a non-magic using individual, and, more importantly, it links a character into the metaphysical side of the game world.

>Coming from an RPG system where relations are about as important as
>the color of your eyes, I still have a hard time figuring in the
>importance of relationships in HQ. My first player having an animist
>char will definitely help in that area :)

Well, especially if they're practitioners.

But, for a spiritist, have a spirit-talker that the character knows catch up with the Puma person in question, and, as he's asking the player's hero to help out with a ritual (being the only other Puma Person about), he's attacked by a malevolent spirit. Then be sure to point out that the player can augment with his "Friend of Spirit Talker" ability for a +2. Then it'll suddenly dawn on all of ya what good relationships are.

Then, when the player says no to his pal with regards to the ritual, have him roll a contest to avoid damage to the relationship. Then it'll become clear as day what the role of relationships are in the game - pretty much key. When he fails, and the ability gets a -50% modifier, the you'll understand that there are mechanical ramifications to his relationships.

By the time you go on your first heroquest, and the players have been doing nothing for several contests but going to different groups to garner support, you may find that they buy little but relationships from that point on...

Make no mistake. What makes a HQ character powerful is who he knows, and how much they support him. Let your players make the mistake of declaring themselves orphans*, and watch them envy the characters who have family.

(*62.4% of all RPG characters are orphans... and 87% of all statistics are made up on the spot)

> > Interestingly I don't mention concentration to players who don't take
> > specialized magic, and so, again, 50% of my characters aren't
>concentrated.
>Again, by "specialized magic" you mean devotees, practitioners etc?

Correct. In fact, they're only vaguely members of their designated religions. If you belong to a monotheist wizardry society, but never go to church, you pretty much have no magic from your religion (just let them try to contact the Almighty at 12W10!). Often they find religion either in play, or only when in a foxhole (as so many do).

>I don't understand what you're doing here. What does Concentration
>*do* in your game, then? Is it just a prerequisite needed for higher
>ranks / in some cults?

Oh, it's just an ability like any other. Basically I allow it to augment any magic of the sort that the character is concentrated in, and penalizes them when dealing with any other sort of magic. I love it when an uppity Shaman pooh-pooh's the wizard's magic, only to get a snootfull of crippling essence in part from the massive penalty that he has from his concentration.

>My player specifies in her narrative that her character, a
>Puma spiritist hunter, "is able to hear her ancestors voices". This of
>course fits in with her Great Ancestors religion and everything. But
>what exactly do we do with it?

That's an excellent question, and where, again, you can't be blamed for not knowing all the options. There are a ton:

In each of these cases, the ability is in addition to all of those that they'd normally start with. So, if he's a practitioner, he gets his full load of starting spirits, and gets this one as well.

(There's a very complicated discussion of what level to start the ability out at, but I won't get into that now. Just pick one that works for you, 13, or keyword - for spirits you just select level arbitrarily anyhow, and it's the relationship ability that varies).

>But from what I've read, this means the ability in question would have
>to be either a charm, or a natural magic ability. I don't quite see
>where it might be a charm, as it's not some spirit's ability used by
>the char, but rather something the char herself can *do*. So natural
>magic?

Well, I could see it being a spirit (charm/fetish/ally). But sounds like natural magic to me. I've seen several players where the case was that they were actually being partially possessed by their ancestor spirits. That is, in a way, they are the fetish for their ancestor spirits. So talking to them is a pretty simple matter, they're right inside...

They key, however, is to ask the player.

>Oh well, my next step should be to just start playing.

Amen.

Mike

MSN is giving away a trip to Vegas to see Elton John.� Enter to win today. http://msnconcertcontest.com?icid-nceltontagline