Re: HQ Beginner - Character Generation questions

From: Thorsten <Eisprinz_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:00:24 -0000

Not really. I was/am quite aware of the fact that HQ is quite flexible in that way. Both because the list of abilities in one kw can't ever be considered "complete" and also because the rulebook makes it quite clear you're not stuck with the keywords listed there.

As I said below, I consciously decided to leave out most of that flexibility for the time being. I was hoping to keep it simpler that way - and you see how I've got problems enough with even that :).

> That said... if a player comes up with a concept that doesn't fit
into the
> keywords that exist, consider working out a new one for them.

I'll see about that. If their character concept can be fitted into the existing paradigma, I'll prefer that. If that doesn't work at all, I might go ahead and create something new for/with the player, but I might also ask him to save that character for a later time. The first few sessions will be mostly introductory and experimental anyway, I won't prevent any player changing their characters a few sessions into our exploration of Glorantha.

> >I guess in actual play [natural magic] abilities will only bring
flavor to
> >the experience, not detract any by unbalancing the game mechanics.
>
> Since they are no more powerful as ways to resolve a contest, they
won't be
> at all "unbalancing."

However, Roderick points out that "Natural magic is meant to be very uncommon, not for everyday. Most people don't have any "Natural Magic" abilities. Of those hat do have them, the overwhelming majority only have one ability. Very few people would have more than one."

The article on "Natural Magic" on the HQ support website seems to go along those lines as well: "We recommend that a hero have no more than one such ability."

> >I still have a hard time figuring in the
> >importance of relationships in HQ. My first player having an animist
> >char will definitely help in that area :)
>
> Well, especially if they're practitioners.

Not yet, but that's going to happen in one of the first few sessions.

[Your spirit-talker idea]

This will require changing my scenario ideas around a bit, but I like it very much, thanks.

> By the time you go on your first heroquest, and the players have
been doing
> nothing for several contests but going to different groups to garner
> support, you may find that they buy little but relationships from
that point
> on...

Well. Heroquests. I've read that chapter once, and decided to keep that aspect of the game until a lot later. It seems to me you have to be very comfortable with the rules and the settings to narrate a heroquest. Don't get me wrong, I think it's one of the "killer features" of HQ, I love the idea. I'm just not ready to dive into that right now.

> [About concentration] I love it when an uppity Shaman
> pooh-pooh's the wizard's magic, only to get a snootfull of crippling
essence
> in part from the massive penalty that he has from his concentration.

Massive? Any figures?

> >My player specifies in her narrative that her character, a
> >Puma spiritist hunter, "is able to hear her ancestors voices". This of
> >course fits in with her Great Ancestors religion and everything. But
> >what exactly do we do with it?
>
> That's an excellent question, and where, again, you can't be blamed
for not
> knowing all the options. There are a ton:

> - [Natural Magic]
> - [Common Magic]
> - [Tradition Charm]
> - [Fetish]
> - [Spirit Ally]

Hmm. For the moment, only the first three are an option. One important point of my considerations, though, is how that ability will fare once the char reaches the higher levels of her religion. I think a Natural Magic ability would fit the character concept best, because such a "knack" would make the character destined for a career in her religion. And since becoming a shaman is part of the char's goal, that strikes me as right. However, I'm a bit unsure on how easily to dole out Natural Magic abilities - I know your opinion, but there seem to be different opinions on that and I haven't yet decided for myself. Also, making it a charm seems to fit in with the world a little better. I'll leave that open to discussion with the player.

A friend of mine (Alex D., you might know him) has suggested another option. Keep in mind that my main concern is the future development of whatever ability will result from this piece of the narrative. His idea was to allow a different kind of concentration. The rulebook allows for concentration only in one of the four systems of magic. However, you could easily imagine a concentration like "Puma Culture Magic". This would then allow you to keep all Magic that can be seen as part of the Puma's Magic. In some cases, this will be subject to discussion.

I could then give the player a common magic _talent_. Thus she'd be able to use it as an augment until she pays the HP to concentrate her magic (it was her decision not to include it in the generation) and as an active ability or augment from then on. I like this idea because it makes the ability something originating in the character without making it a natural magic ability.

> In each of these cases, the ability is in addition to all of those that
> they'd normally start with. So, if he's a practitioner, he gets his
full
> load of starting spirits, and gets this one as well.

Okay, that's an information I needed.

> >Oh well, my next step should be to just start playing.
>
> Amen.

Real life with it's exams, deadlines, and what-not can be quite a PITA ;)