Re: Tracking Multiple Actions within Extended Contests

From: Jamie <anti.spam_at_...>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 13:19:30 -0000

I would advise caution here, for me, ECs work best where players try and remain flexible and use the skills that suit the circumstances and opponents. Promoting larger skills could result in a locking in of certain patterns within contests. Sam's cartoon gun is one possibility, but more subtly if the players start skewing their tactical choices based on the numbers rather than a balance of numbers and reflected situation then the contest starts to lock into that strategy and the narration of each round can suffer.

I know, I have been there, we slipped into a pattern of ECs as maths in a very gradual and almost imperceptible way. And then one day realised that we used to have a lot more fun with this and realised how we had drifted our play. This is why I am often a staunch defender of the EC, I know it can get bogged down but I also know that this is entirely avoidable with a bit of discipline and awareness.