RE: Re: [WorldofGlorantha] Re: Glorantha, HeroQuest and metamagic (moved from WoG)

From: Sam Elliot <samclau_at_...>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 17:51:30 -0300

 RR:
Hold on - *I* didn't write those ratings, so they aren't "mine". I would say that they are poorly phrased - I'd eliminate the "Married" part of the description, frex. (Unless the hero has "Respects Marriage Vows even though he's not in Love with his wife" or some such). - Fine. Indeed, you said this in a subsequent post. Sorry.

Well, there's that "Willing partner - Automatic success" line. Just because you're married doesn't mean that you're *in love* with your spouse. And you could conceivably have two "Love X" abilities - Guenever loved both Arthur and Lancelot (keeping the story simple ). If it comes to a contest between two loves...
- Yep - this is where I was trying to say it can be a lot more interesting than all these people who have only finally chosen someone they actually get on with at the age of thirty or so and do actually (one hopes) love the spouse.

> If you are talking about selling your beloved to a slave merchant, well,
> you
> need a situational modifier there I think.

I don't know - just have a contest between your "Love X" and "Greedy" (or whatever your motivation for selling your loved one is). Why should this be any different than any other contest? Why should your Love get a modifier and not your Greedy?
- Rethinking, selling the beloved to the merchant ought to bring in a load of other augments from "Upstanding Citizen" and so on, so maybe not. My point, though, was that they are different degrees of challenge to the ability.

  Sam.