One System to Rule Them All (Was: Re: [WorldofGlorantha] Re: How Much Rule fiddl

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 19:56:25 -0000

Trotsky:
> Ah, OK, if you're saying that - as present - the armour provides a
> bonus/augment which is incorporated in the final rating used in the
> contest, then, yes, that sounds fine to me. I thought you were talking
> about a rule change.

Here are some examples:

Varnmand and Gyr, two rival weaponthanes from different clans are dueling over a matter of honour. They both use sword and shield, leather, fur and any scrap of metal armour they have found or lifted off fallen adversaries. You can add their equipment bonus, or not, because whatever you add isn't going to make much difference, if any at all. So you can maybe, on this occassion skip the bonus.

Another day Varnmand is fighting a stickpickerr who have attacked him after a careless insult! The stickpicker is armed with a belt knife and no armour. Varnmand's armour and weapons suddenly become a relevant bonus.

One way to handle the above is just to rule that arms and armour qualify for 'situational bonuses' when they are important. Maybe a +3 to as much as a +10 or even more for magic armour.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that far too little is made of situational bonuses. I would even give a bonus if a player describes a particularly cool, cinematic or darn clever action for no other reason than to encourage and reward such participation from the players.

Regards
Rob