Re: One System to Rule Them All (Was: Re: [WorldofGlorantha] Re: How Much Rule fiddl

From: Robin Laws Mail List Only <tjaderoo_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:29:31 -0400

On 7/26/07, Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...> wrote:

> The problem is in giving an option and damning it at the same time.
> "Well, this is an option, but it isn't very good, and people that play with
> it are losers".

I'm not saying this. I'm not implying this. You seem really intent on inferring it, which is your prerogative.

However, I am, in fact, saying the exact opposite of what you insist I'm saying.

The actual stance is: "I don't think this rule works, for reasons X and Y. You may disagree, for reasons A and B. If so, don't play my way. Play your way! The correct way to play HQ is to customize it so that it's the game you and your group enjoy."

And that's just the case of the armor rules. Most other options are: "Choose X option to have this effect. Choose Y option to achieve this effect."

When there's a choice between a simple approach and a more complicated one, I suggest that people try the simple one first.

The current core rules manuscript rules out _nothing_ about the way the current HQ rulebook works. It does show you how to simplify the game in a number of ways, especially in other genres. It does nothing to tie the hands of the team that eventually creates the new Glorantha rules book. If they so choose, they can port over every single rule in the current version wholesale, and nothing they do will be incompatible with the core rules set. Nothing. Nada. Zip. It is the same game, presented differently, in a more modular fashion. It is not Robin Laws Heroquest. It is [Insert Your Name Here] Heroquest.

The thing I find particularly surreal about this little flare-up we're having is that we actually agree on the underlying issue--that you can do without the armor rules.

Take care >>> Robin