Re: Re: Mythic Russia, and Pyrrhic Victories

From: Jakob Pape <chaomancer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 23:57:09 +0100

On 8/1/07, Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:

> --- Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...> wrote:
>
> > I have another, similar example, that may be even
> > more illuminating.
>
> In some ways: at least, it's very easy to point out
> exactly where it doesn't match the problem.
>
> > There was no question of whether or not he could
> > survive such a situation, only whether or not he
> > could grab onto the wand and take it with him.
>
> And therefore, there is no problem in framing this
> beforehand. Now, how about if both are in doubt?
>
> Same problem with the tough hero standing between his
> king and the lightning bolt in fact, though there it
> didn't get stated explicitly. Despite a 1v20 roll, it
> seems the King survived. Suppose that, too, had been
> in doubt? Suppose the Bad Stuff had to be divided
> between PC and NPC? In that case, it sounds as if the
> player would have framed it to take as much damage as
> possible himself anyway, but there are plenty of cases
> where it wouldn't be that obvious.

Yes, the king survived and the battle was won. The contest was explicitly only about the results for the PC in this case, so once the contest was framed the king was safe (from that attack: the magicians were still there, and ready to have another go). I guess my solution to the question was to re-frame the contest until there was only one thing at risk. I hadn't though about trying to simulate a risk to both in the challenge, but now that I've had a moment...

If I had left both in doubt, then my rule would have been so; on a success, the king is okay. Maranus takes damage depending on how well he does - Complete success leaves him smoking but unharmed, Major = hurt, Minor = Impaired and Marginal = hurt.

On a failure, though, the King would be harmed (severity depending on the severity of the failure). The results for the PC could be done in a few different ways - he could be dead (logical progression of the injuries), or have the injury suggested by the chart.

I do think it would be good to have a solidly supported system for getting injured while winning a fight, at least as an option. Maranus' death was my work-around for that question coming up in play, and I think that method can be usefully used, but it's not a universal solution.

--
Jakob Pape

"Sometimes subtlety comes in the form of large explosions and jammed open
airlock doors."