Re: Re: Non-Exhaustive Augmenting

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:52:58 +0100 (BST)

> On August 29, 2007 03:00 am, Jane Williams wrote:
> >
> > 2) You're using... what, eight augments, mainly
> +1s?
> > OK, then your NPC opponent gets eight, too.
> They're not +1s.

> I don't think I'd adopt that last one, as it seems
> to defeat the purpose,
> unless I was assuming some kind of "standard
> augmenting" set that always applied.

It's just a method of balancing resistances. If I knew my players would always do the same thing, I'd have my NPCs worked out in advance. But some days they're interested enough to give me a list of a dozen augments, other days I barely get one, so I work out NPC augments on the fly. PCs use none, I use none (unless there's one that's practically mandatory, like "hate this PC 10W2"). PCs use loads, I use loads: assuming the NPCs *have* loads available. They may not. "Guard F, warrior 17" doesn't get much of a choice.

It stops them feeling obligated to stack up the augments to "win", even when they're not interested in doing so, because in fact it isn't going to help them "win". It may or may not make the contest more interesting, or more detailed, but success is not dependent on augment-stacking.

Want ideas for reducing your carbon footprint? Visit Yahoo! For Good http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/environment.html