Re: Re: Two goals?

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:30:28 -0400

On September 24, 2007 07:18 am, Rob wrote:
> --- In HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com, "L.Castellucci"
>
> <lightcastle_at_...> wrote:
> > How do you all model two goals going on simultaneously?
>
> You mean a contest when one party requires 2nr outcomes.

2nr?

> This is not
> even nesting contests in your example about Luke and Vader.

Wait. There are no nesting contests in the Luke Vader thing?

> What I would suggest is that you are conflating different contests, and
> not seeing the demarcation when one contest ends and another starts.

And this is possible. As I said, one idea is that the carbonite contest is one - it fails, and THEN another contest starts.

> I'd have to watch the movie to properly answer your question. One thing
> I would say the bit about being his father at the end in my game would
> not be a contest. Thats a roleplaying scene between GM and player. The
> bad guy NPC reveals he didn't kill your father but IS your father and
> you have been lied to and manipulated by Kenobi. What do you do now??
> Player opts for suicide as a suitable end for his character. GM gives
> him another chance by having him end up on that aerial - do you really
> want to die? The player then uses the force to summon Leia. I It would
> be sad to decide such a personal, dramatic event with a die roll.

I was actually thinking of Vader as the PC in my example, but sure. Mind you, I would STILL make the Father reveal part of the contest if the contest was to "shatter your faith in the light side". Giving a penalty to future interactions - or reducing your ability to use it. The decision to jump off to get out. All PC role-playing choice.

I could even make the argument that his failure to contact Ben while hanging on the aerial is because he has a -50% to his rolls involving the Force and Ben and his faith in him.

LC