Re: Two goals?

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 13:45:00 -0000

> I was actually thinking of Vader as the PC in my example, but sure.
Mind you,
> I would STILL make the Father reveal part of the contest if the
contest was
> to "shatter your faith in the light side". Giving a penalty to
future
> interactions - or reducing your ability to use it. The decision to
jump off
> to get out. All PC role-playing choice.
>
> I could even make the argument that his failure to contact Ben
while hanging
> on the aerial is because he has a -50% to his rolls involving the
Force and
> Ben and his faith in him.
>
> LC

I hear what you are saying, and yeah I guess under certain conditions you are right. BUt having said that I do think that you are using contests to deliver thematic choices, when they should come from the player on all occassions.

I would view Ben not answering as the GM not giving the player an 'out' but making him consider what he knew, what he had just found out and whether or not that constituted grounds for wrapping up that character by leaping off the aerial into oblivion.

Player character suicide, whilst anethama to traditional rpg rationale, is an entirely acceptable character decision in storytelling. Like in the recent 'Marathon' debate the pc had asked for the complete defeat to mean he had died after giving the message to the king, not that he had failed to get the message through.

It all depends on whether you are more interested in accumulating hero points/stats/ treasure or whether you are more interested in creating a good (maybe poignant) story.

Regards
Rob