Re: Re: Two goals?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:47:15 +0100 (BST)

Me:
> > I still
> > think it;'s more to do with the extent to which
> you
> > prefer the rules to tell you what happens, rather
> than it being GM decision.

Rob:

> We all do that all the time. ....

> What I would be wary of is using the contest results
> to interperet
> things about the characters that I prefer to be the
> basis of choices for the player character.

Sure. You can always, always, ignore the dice roll. But if the dice roll gives you no information, you have no choice, you *have* to make it up.

If the rules are there, the dice can suggest a possibility, which you are free to ignore. Suggestions are good... not everyone is happy with having creativity running at 110% all the time. It's hard work.

> Estave choosing to sacrafice herself through
> her blind love for her treacherous husband is
> another. :^)

Yes, I wondered if you'd remember that :) And (harking back to another answer) that suicide was NOT the player saying "I do not wish to play", but the player saying "I wish to play, as intensely as possible, and this is how."

Want ideas for reducing your carbon footprint? Visit Yahoo! For Good http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/environment.html