Re: HQ2, cultural key-words, runes.....

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:07:39 -0000

> I don't profess to being an expert on this*, but from what I picked
> up at the "HQ2.0 Magic" seminar that Jeff ran for us at Continuum
> (that hopefully Darran has podcasted?), it should be possible to
> continue to use HQ and HW cult write ups with the new rules with a
> minimal amount of effort.

[excellent summary snipped]

> My understanding is that the new presentation of the cults are
> intended to make it easier for the neophyte to dive in and start
> playing, without necessarily invalidating everything that has gone
> before. I'm sure once the rules are out, the HQ/Gloranthan
> Community will be able to suggest suitable updates for those cults
> not covered until such time as "official" ones are provided - just
> as we did previously for Cults that had not been covered officially.

Tim, this is spot on. The primary change is that in many cases HQ1 related affinities have been compressed into a single rune (frex, Storm, Wind, Thunderstorm and Thunderstone all fall within the Air Rune in HQ 2.0 and so on) or associations broadened (in HQ1 all combat related magic was associated with the "Combat" rune - aka the Death Rune -, in HQ 2.0, combat magic may be associated with the Death Rune, or with Air, or with Movement, or with other runes as appropriate to that god or myth). These are largely cosmetic changes and easy to update.

The one significant change is with respect to divine feats. In HQ1 a feat was essentially a "spell" - a narrow and limited power that could be used directly by a devotee (instead of as an augment). In HQ2, initiates can now use their rune affinities directly (albeit as broad abilities); a feat is now the ability to heroform your god as manifested in a particular feat. When performing your feats, you can act as your god did in that myth - becoming a narrow and specific ability at your divine rune affinity rating (and getting a big bonus against any abilities that are not equally narrow and specific). However, the moment you stop acting like your god, the feat is over for the scene (potentially leaving you very weakened as well).

Jeff