Re: HQ2 Extended Contest Question

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 21:42:44 -0000

The example of play does not vary the resistance during the contest.

My comprehension is that the pass/fail cycle sets the resistance for the contest: which might be extended or simple and lasts throughout the contest (which in the case of a simple contest is just one roll).

Note that because the pass/fail cycle depends on level of victory/defeat it could not apply to the results of an exchange in an extended contest, which give a result as a number of points for or against and not a victory default.

Similarly the consequences of the whole extended contest are what give the results you use to figure out the next resistance from the pass/fail cycle.

Incidentally we tend to drive with the pass/fail cycle setting resistances and have done for some time. We find it is very effective for storytelling gaming.

The reason is that unlike a pre-plotted adventure we are usually creating encounters in an improvised or on-the-fly fashion from one-line 'bangs'. Using the pass-fail cycle helps us keep resistance pacing in that circumstance.

Great stuff and a really valuable tool.