Re: Newbie Questions

From: Paul King <paul_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 19:54:06 +0000

On 11 Jan 2009, at 15:28, tywyll wrote:

> 1) When are followers Augments and when do you simply add their value
> to your AP? it seems like if it were your choice, you'd always want
> to add their full value.

It is a choice. (And obviously you would never add to your AP in a Simple Contest !)

> 2) How do followers die/suffer injury? I know in HW there was a rule
> about them suffering one level more injury than a character does, but
> that rule seems to be missing from HQ. Was that intentional or
> accidental?

It's there (p74 "Followers and defeat").

> 3) When followers add their values to yours, that both increases your
> AP and your TN, correct? So if you had a 20, and added a follower at
> 17, you'd end up 17M, rather than still rolling against a 20 but
> having 37 AP.

No, If you add their AP you get NO bonus to your TN. Starting AP is based on the ability rating (TN + masteries) as it is used in the first action (so if you augment that with a Follower you'll get a few AP out of augmenting) but it doesn't work the other way around. Adding to AP just adds to AP.

> 4) When do followers count for multiple target penalties? If you
> attack with 2 followers, does your opponent automatically suffer from
> multi-attackers (-6 I think) or does that only occur when their
> attacks are seperate from yours?

My understanding is that Followers only give multiple opponent penalties when they attack separately. (In defence, they do count AGAINST multiple opponent penalties).

> 5) Speaking of multiple attackers-The negative a target suffers when
> being attacked by multiple attackers, -3, -6 etc, is that purely to
> their TN, or do they actually lose AP by virtue of being engaged
> multiple times? I.e. a hero is attacked by 3 Broo, suffering a -6 (I
> believe) when fighting back. Does that -6 just come off his mighty 17
> TN (from his 17M skill) or does his AP drop to 31? What happens if
> the penalty drops his TN to 0 or less? (say someone with 3M or even
> 5M2)?

Multiple opponent penalties apply to the TNs of defensive rolls - and then only in the round in which the multiple attacks are made. Once initial AP is determined it isn't affected by changes to TN. Even a lasting penalty wouldn't affect the TN.