Re: Re: Newbie Questions

From: Paul King <paul_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 22:27:02 +0000

On 11 Jan 2009, at 21:36, tywyll wrote:

>>> 1) When are followers Augments and when do you simply add their
>>> value
>>> to your AP? it seems like if it were your choice, you'd always want
>>> to add their full value.
>>
>> It is a choice. (And obviously you would never add to your AP in a
>> Simple Contest !)
>
> What is the benefit of only using them as Augments? Do they suffer
> loss consequences? Or do augments increase your TN?

Augments add to your Ability rating. It does say that it is more risky to use Followers as APs but the only rule that supports it that I can find is the one that allows Followers to be removed from a contest as AP loss (which would stop them from blocking Multiple Opponent penalties) - but that's an option. I might be missing something, but it looks as if using Followers as APs is usually the best option in an Extended Contest.

> So what happens if the penalty pushes your TN to 0 or below?

If the overall number (counting Masteries) goes down to zero it's time to use another ability - all rolls will automatically fail. (If you're on 1W and take a -2 penalty your TN goes to 19)

> A couple of additional questions:
> 1) How would you handle something during an extended challenge wherein
> a character tries to force an opponent to use a different
> skill/affinity hoping they have a lower Tn? For example, disarming an
> opponent (I know this might end some extended contests, but say you
> were in a tavern brawl where they would just switch to punching you or
> something)? Basically, I'm wondering how a creative player might
> force an opponent into a disadvantage during a contest, when that
> disadvantage wasn't part of determining the nature of the contest.

The easy option is to set the attack in a way that makes them use a different ability to defend. Alternatively take an "Unrelated Action" that puts the opponent at a disadvantage (disarming would be best modeled that way). (Or you could reduce their ability ratings by choosing to inflict Wounds instead of AP loss),

> 2) Edges... I notice they aren't in HQ (or at least I haven't come
> across them yet). Any idea why they got pulled out?

They're in there as an option. I believe that they got pulled from the main rules as a simplification.

> 3) Magic Items-I've noticed that some items (normal gear, Iron gear)
> doesn't have a rating, where some items on example character sheets,
> seems to. When should 'magic items' have a TN all their own, and when
> should they just be something that does X or provides Y bonus?

I'd say that it's a matter of the underlying philosophy - "does X" is meant to be expressed as an Ability to do X in most cases.