Re: Singing 10%, Snooker 85% (was: stuff)

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 21:04:56 -0000

> Bizarrely, the main reason I'll miss numbers is not necessarily because
> of what they represent, but because... they are numbers.

I can appreciate that sentiment. But as an author, I'm not going to muck up Robin's rules system because of that.

As a rules system, Robin's HQ2 has a striking clarity to it. It possesses an internal honesty as to what it is and how it works that I rarely see in game rules.

> Some folks may hate that little wibbly 'W' for mastery. I positively
> love it. And the use of the runes for a guardian's Awareness, Blessing
> and Defence functions? Or blessings and curses? Or to highlight
> narrator information or other stuff? Genius. It may seem simple, but in
> my mind it's genius.

We actually use runes far more in the Gloranthan books for HQ2 than in HQ1 and they have mean symbolic meaning and importance within the system. We expect your character sheet to be loaded with Gloranthan runes (with numbers attached) - they are part of play and a key aspect of your character sheet.

And there will be words and runes when we describe NPCs. Just not any numbers.:)

Jeff