RE: Re: How to run a chase in HQ2

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 12:29:39 -0000

Yes, I like this. But I see where the disengagement idea came from: we seemed to need something to prevent protagonists from directly interacting with the 'big bad'. Of course the 'big bad' or 'chase target' doesn't have to be present for the heroes to have a contest with it.

To clarify, it's not necessarily the chase antagonist (Whitey and his Band of Evil Men) that's personally 'putting' obstacles in the way unless you see the overall resistance that they're up against as the contest antagonist.

Ok, so that's decided then.

Problem:
How do I run an epic chase in vanilla HQ2 (with the catching and a few other details pre-determined)?

Solution:
The chase can be a group extended contest with the main antagonist not present until certain 'obstacle conflicts' that are thematically related to the main one are passed.

This way we can use the pass/fail cycle and experience a non-linear progression (potential obstacle conflicts are not hard-ordered before the main contest begins and will become relevant at the right 'story moment' and might bring up others depending on outcome).

Looking at this description I see implication that some obstacle conflicts will be unrelated actions (definition: actions that can't affect the resolution points of the main contest) and some won't.