Re: How do you compare published abilities without numbers?

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:15:10 -0000

To be honest, No

>To me it seems that's just what you want.

Having to have on-line access and the time to search through a set of forum postings every time I'm reading or trying to use a HQ book?

Providing Numerical stats appears to fulfil two needs 1) Provides a simple shorthand to understanding the character, sometimes revealing or expanding on information in the written text (eg Stu's "Musical Spoons 80%). This greatly looses it's usefulness if you have to go elsewhere to find it

2) Providing baseline resistances for use in actual play (which can be modified by circumstance and/or pc ratings vs the "benchmark"). If these numbers aren't actually provided in the scenario, then the effort in tracking them down before play starts and writing them all in, or the interruption to play while one retrieves them (assuming that you can access the internet from where you play) would seem to be more effort than it is worth