Re: How do you compare published abilities without numbers?

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:30:49 -0000

I think almost exactly the opposite.

If the story says of Lancelot that he is "The Best Knight in the world and can't be beaten" then there is little point in trying. No matter what you try, the odds are always stacked against you. However if you know that Lancelot is "Knight:10w3" then you know that your "Knight:10w2" is only a mastery down, and stands a chance, especially if you can come up with tactics and/or augments to improve your chance.

(Really it's as broad as it is long. I understand fully where Jeff et al are coming from. If I expect Lance to be a mastery above the PC after augments, and they are able to match him then I can "invent" augments to put him back to the "expected" level. But to me it seems somehow better/fairer/more acceptable to do this from a "fixed point" rather than making up the resistance from scratch. Also, while I see this as "Acceptable" behaviour (and recognise that for some people/play styles it isn't), I'd expect to only (need to) do it occasionally for climactic encounters, not for every single encounter...