Re: Re: The merits of relative and absoluteresistances (HQ1 and HQ2)

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:26:35 -0400

Jeff Richard wrote:

>FWIW, I assign Hard or Very Hard resistance difficulties when you are
dealing folk who are supposed to be really good at what they do, Moderate for folk who know what they are doing, and Nearly >Impossible for the folk who are Nearly Impossible to beat. I find that extremely easy to do in practice (and sometimes move things up a bracket or down a bracket based on the needs of the session).

FWIW, this is what I assumed the system was designed to do. I still think the Pass/Fail thing is something of a red herring. I'm likely to ignore it like mad, and draw pacing from my own sense of my player's needs. (I know one player of mine who is a Mick Foley at heart, and always wants to lose tragically in the end - thinks it makes for better story.)

I'm far more worried about how the mechanics of conflict resolution were streamlined/fixed/modified/clarified to allow for more dramatic options: Pyhrric victories, true ebb and flow conflicts, etc.

LC