RE: Re: Scenarios

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 00:34:59 -0000

:-) ok, right. Erm

Ok. Are you equating work with hard? That would be hard?

Or maybe "time consuming"?

I would have thought that all you had to do would be to look at why you have the NPC in the story in the first place and then ask yourself what purpose they have in the scene in question.

For example: I planned to have Harrek the Berserk in tonight's session. My motivation is to show the heroes and the players what he's like. I'm not going to get them in a martial contest with such a superhero; his function in my series is to daunt just about everyone. This is so that later I can bring in Argrath and portray their own contest with a little more meaning - without a load of tell-not-show exposition.

I'm not sure when Harrek is going to be in a scene in tonight's session but when an opportunity arises I need to decide what his function is more specifically than just Daunt Everyone. The heroes are in the middle of a negotiation with the lead Issaries priest of Corflu; they are working for an important figure and have paid for the executive treatment from the temple.

The heroes know that a famous hero called Harrek is in the area and that everyone is afraid of him; several of the players have formed opinions for their heroes already. These opinions are formed around the scraps of description they have been fed.

So they're in the main trading tent when everyone feels a sudden wave of dread crash over them. Suddenly in strides a being clothed in power whose very eyes shine with the power of Death. I feel inspired by my own narrative and I now know Harrek's function in the scene.

Could you fill in the rest for me? I just took the time it takes to type this in to think it all up, so could you take the time it takes to type your bit?

Cheers. I hope this will illustrate what kind of effort I believe is required.