Re: Scenarios

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 06:38:13 -0000

Matthew Cole:

> Ok. Are you equating work with hard? That would be hard?
>
> Or maybe "time consuming"?

Yes; those would seem reasonable alternative terms.

> I would have thought that all you had to do would be to look at why you have
> the NPC in the story in the first place and then ask yourself what purpose
> they have in the scene in question.

Sure; but it's easier to do that before the game, and write down the stats, that it is to figure it out in game. That way you don't waste time figuring it out at the table. As I said before, other people may find different things easy or hard, and may not have a problem with this.

> For example: I planned to have Harrek the Berserk in tonight's
> session. My
> motivation is to show the heroes and the players what he's like.

Harrek's an extreme example; I wouldn't bother trying to stat him up fully in most circumstances. Although, even then, its easier (for me) to do at least some of it before hand, so that I have at least some numbers available.

> Could you fill in the rest for me? I just took the time it takes to
> type
> this in to think it all up, so could you take the time it takes to
> type your bit?

Unfortunately, I just don't type that slowly :) At any rate, it isn't something I'd want to do in-game. It's not exceptionally hard work, of course, but it is more work than taking a pre-defined number and using that, which was the original claim.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/