Re: Re: Scenarios

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:06:19 -0400

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 2:38 AM, ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...> wrote:
> Matthew Cole:
>> I would have thought that all you had to do would be to look at why you
>> have
>> the NPC in the story in the first place and then ask yourself what purpose
>> they have in the scene in question.
>
> Sure; but it's easier to do that before the game, and write down the stats,
> that it is to figure it out in game. That way you don't waste time figuring
> it out at the table. As I said before, other people may find different
> things easy or hard, and may not have a problem with this.

If you don't know what the scene is going to be in advance, then how do you prepare for it? Anyway, the questions that you ask when setting the scene are not esoteric. They are imminently practical.

Example:
One of my PCs decided to infiltrate Yolanella's court with the intention of gaining influence over her. The PC attended a banquet and used his Seduction ability to make an impression on her." (A true, if distasteful episode from my game) What was the purpose of Yolanella in this scene? She has power (Satrap of Spol) and the player wanted to use that power for his own purposes. How hard should this be to do? I set the difficulty based on what I thought my players would enjoy. Easy victories over notable opponents are not fun, but then again the PC's victory in this contest didn't diminish Yolanela in the eyes of the players. Instead, it was just one step forward in a plot line that was interesting, funny, and more than a bit disturbing. I therefore made the contest difficult, but not too difficult.

Note: I had no idea that the player was going to try this before he brought up the idea in that night's game. I couldn't have prepared for it if I had wanted to. Using HQ2 this wasn't a problem at all. In most other games, it would have given me a migraine.

-Kevin McD