Re: Man Rune

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 07:20:16 -0000

> I'm still in doubt as to the extent to which Praxians even HAVE personal runes. As I've understood things, a typical Praxian will practise spirit magic to some greater or lesser extent. They will know the rules of a particular spirit tradition and they will collect spirits associated with that tradition and these will tend to be spirits linked to particular rune(s) associated with that tradition.

Strictly speaking Praxians have personal runes. Just like Orlanthi have charms and spells. Everyone is made of everything.

That being said, Praxians who do not belong to a theist cult (of which there are many small and insignificant cults throughout Prax) won't have much use for their personal runes. They can use them to augment magic and maybe some other limited augments but frankly, for most Praxians their personal runes are less useful than the divine runes of an Orlanthi lay member.

If I were running an all-spirit worshipping Praxian campaign that was unlikely to ever have much of a divine angle or much interaction with theist cults, I'd probably forego the personal runes altogether. But if I was running a mixed-party, or going to make the Paps or the White Bull Society or certain other plot lines central to my story, then I probably would want my players to figure out their personal runes. The option exists for the Narrator and the players.

Jeff