Re: Re: Is HQ2 Difficult?

From: Kevin Blackburn <kevin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 08:16:42 +0100

I'm in a lousy position to do this discussion, not having seen the rules, but I'll try.

writes
>Kevin Blackburn wrote:
>>Or some hero with significant movement magic, running after a horse.
>>Clearly at some point it becomes satisfying for a hero to be able to
>>outrun a horse, but how many heroes can do it? And responses of "when
>>the story calls for it" will be considered (at least by me) to be
>>missing the point.
>
>Well, will you accept the "close, but not the same" answer of "when that
>makes sense for that hero's schtick"?

In Glorantha, I'd expect the world description or rules to tell me when - as a GM I need guidelines as to what is sensible, and I in turn need to be able to convey those guidelines to my players.

>If you have movement magic, than putting it against a horse in a race
>seems to make perfect sense.
>If you're playing a special forces game and you have Fast 17, I doubt
>anyone would think it makes sense that this means you can outrun a car.
>(Although you could end up in a challenge with a car that would make
>sense.)

I suspect he HQ2 apparently purist storytelling approach works much better in the real world, or something near it , as there's an existing shared agreement on "sense". And perhaps in groups where the GM's initial word is absolute and unarguable law. For Glorantha and my game this is not the case.

>>In a world with strong magic, perhaps a credibility test fails its own
>>credibility test: pretty much anything is possible with enough magic and
>>there's Gloranthan examples to prove it (raise a moon, stop time, swap
>>goddess).
>
>I don't agree with that.
>It depends on your credible magic. If you don't have magic to raise a
>moon, then trying to do it fails a credibility test.

Let's say the character has throwing magic (say "Aid throw with wind" - or, in the context, perhaps not!) - at this point it becomes only a matter of scale. There's obviously not too many with this ability to throw moons into the sky (else there'd be loads of rocks in the sky) - but players are usually special. And gods probably can (if not bound by the great compromise, . etc.). So "credibility" is too grey to be much use in determining possibility.

This is obviously an exaggerated example, but there will be far more practical instances all over the place in a game with strong magic.

--
Kevin Blackburn                         Kevin_at_...