Re: Genre rules

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:06:07 +0000

L C wrote:

> Hah. :)
> See, we're getting all Rashomon about it. ^__^

I have absolutely no idea what that means. Something Japanese?

> It is entirely possible to view it as a connection to the Gods, rather
> than the Runes, but the accompanying text in the sidebar about the Runes
> being awakened in your soul and the description earlier about the runes
> defining/reflecting your personality and such make it seem not. Note,
> however, that in order to get stronger powers, they follow the paths of
> the gods, becoming more and more in tune (and even restricted in the
> case of feats) in their behaviours. So you can see both trends going on.

Yes, and it seems to me that it's the gods that should be emphasised. (If anyone emphasises the primal powers, its probably wizards/sorcerers). As I say, the runic system seems a good one to me, but, now that you point it out, some of its implications need reigning in a bit.

> The implication (I don't think it is explicit) is also that this link to
> the runes is through the Godworld, even at the "common
> magic"/non-initiate level (although whether that's true for people who
> link to the spirit rune is a bit unclear), so there is that as well.

That doesn't strike me as terribly meaningful (although it's undoubtedly true). But that's a YGWV area, I suspect.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/