Re: Genre rules

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:19:42 -0500

  Hah. :)
See, we're getting all Rashomon about it. ^__^

It is entirely possible to view it as a connection to the Gods, rather than the Runes, but the accompanying text in the sidebar about the Runes being awakened in your soul and the description earlier about the runes defining/reflecting your personality and such make it seem not. Note, however, that in order to get stronger powers, they follow the paths of the gods, becoming more and more in tune (and even restricted in the case of feats) in their behaviours. So you can see both trends going on. The implication (I don't think it is explicit) is also that this link to the runes is through the Godworld, even at the "common magic"/non-initiate level (although whether that's true for people who link to the spirit rune is a bit unclear), so there is that as well.

I kind of like the "Heort teaches us to find the rules in ourselves" kind of aspect, though, because it leaves that element of "We are our own power" that seems to lead to occasional things like LokoMoko and such.

Just a view. (In the magic system I'm drawing up, i just make the Initiate and Devotee of God X thing specific. Other than time commitment and ritual significance, there doesn't seem to be much difference between initiates and devotees though.)

LC