Re: Newbie Rule Questions

From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 15:56:55 +0100 (BST)

1. Page 10 talks about Keywords as Packages. It says that the abilities in a package can be boosted together during character creation, but have to be increased separately after. On page 20 though, when talking about Keywords as Packages, it says they are boosted during character creation and in character improvement together. Which is correct?

The book gives you two alternatives to work with. Either you allow the boosting of keywords: in which case all the abilities within the keyword improve or you don't allow the boosting of keywords: each ability has to be boosted separately.

Either way during character creation you can use development points to boost keywords.

2. Page 57 talks about Improving Your Character. The text reads, "To raise an ability by 2 points at once costs 3 times the cost of raising it by 1 point, etc." This reads kind of odd to me, but I think it presented this way for abilities the GM decides costs more than 1 HP to raise per point. So a regular ability might cost:

1 point increase - 1 HP
2 point increase - 3 HP
3 point increase - 6 HP
4 point increase - 10 HP

For a super ability that costs 3 points base, it would be:

1 point increase - 3 HP
2 point increase - 9 HP
3 point increase - 18 HP
4 point increase - 30 HP

Am I thinking of this right?

That matches my thinking :-))

3. Page 57 talks about Improving Keywords and says that if you're using the umbrella approach, "...multiply the costs of raising abilities by 2 if you want to raise a keyword by more than 1 point at a time."

I don't understand how this interfaces with the rules for increasing abilities referenced above. Like, say I want to raise a keyword by 2 points at one time. I'm assuming the cost would be 12 (2 base X 3 multiplier for 2 point increase at

a time X 2 multiplier for increasing a keyword more than 1 point a time). Is that right?

I don't see it that way, you are multiplying the cost by 2 twice. Keywords cost a base of 2 and then you apply the multiplier for the number of points you want to raise.

1 pt = 2 HP

2 pts = 6 HP
3 pts = 12 HP
4 pts = 20 HP

4. Page 62 says that certain relationships with supporting characters act as flaws. Do these count as flaws like described on page 14 (and count against the total number)? Do they have a rating then that describes how this "flaw" is used

against the player?

I think that all it means is that a positive ability can be used as a flaw. The benefits of having a relationship area usually more than the penalties. I have used many skills as flaws if the occasion demanded. A hero who is a superb swordsman could have his swordsmanship as a penalty if he was trying to pass off as an untrained peasant. They will have different ways of moving etc that a knowledgeable person could spot.

I know this is quite a first post, but I couldn't find any collected FAQ or errata on the web on this list. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Nick

No problems :-))

Gavain