Re: Masteries as Modifiers

From: Rob Barrett <maltesechangeling_at_...>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 23:24:46 -0500

Thanks for the assistance, guys. Let's see if I understand correctly:

Assume a beginning character with an ability maxed out at 7M. It's the first session of the campaign, so the base resistance is 14. Here's what he would face at the different resistances:

Nearly Impossible (Base + M2): The character's 7M confronts a resistance of 14M2. One mastery is cancelled on both sides, leaving the contest at 7 vs. 14M. The GM will get a bump up on her roll.

Very High (Base + 9): The character's 7M confronts a resistance of 3M. The masteries cancel out, leaving the contest at 7 vs. 3. (Or have I done this incorrectly?)

High (Base + 6): The character's 7M confronts a resistance of 20.

Moderate (Base): The character's 7M confronts a resistance of 14.

Low (Base - 6): The character's 7M confronts a resistance of 8.

Very Low (Base - M or 6, whichever is lower): If I understand Trotsky correctly, the character's 7M gets a boost to 7M2 vs. 14--which will boost his result by two levels after the roll. No one seems to fully understand the part about "or 6, whichever is lower"--or perhaps I'm not able to understand their understanding. Is it actually that the result of a 14 resistance being modified to Very Low has to become a 6 vs. the player's 7M--because a 14 is still higher than 6? And that the "Base - M" part of the clause only counts at base resistances of 1M to 5M?

Thanks again--sorry I'm being so dense about this.

Rob