Re: Re: Masteries as Modifiers

From: Rob Barrett <maltesechangeling_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 09:48:31 -0500

On Jul 26, 2011, at 12:49 AM, Jeff wrote:
> The rule means what it says. Very Low Difficulty is never going to be harder than 6, even if the campaign has gone on for years and years (and I've played in a few campaigns where the base resistance could reach 1M2).

How does this apply to the example I gave? I.e., base is 14, the hero has 7m, and he's coming off four failures in a row--making him entitled to a Very Low resistance if the GM is using the Pass/Fall cycle.

Put another way, how does "Base - M or 6, whichever is lower" apply to those specific numbers? Does "Base - M" actually mean "give the PC a mastery" as Dave Dunham suggested? In which case, what is the PC rolling against? Or is it an actual subtraction of 20? That would give a resistance of -6, which is certainly lower than 6--but -6 makes no sense in the game sense.

Sorry to be dense about this, but I'm not grokking the rule. I think I need to see it step-by-step for both a resistance between 14 and 20 and a resistance of 1M or greater.

Best,

Rob