Re: Re: Newbie magic questions

From: Paul King <paul_at_...>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 19:03:11 +0000

On 30 Oct 2011, at 17:16, michaelL wrote:

> I have the one with the 2 gods fighting. Is the 2nd edition better? The 1st edition is not the best read.

It isn't that simple. The 1st Edition is heavily Gloranthan, while the 2nd Edition is mainly generic, having only an appendix of Gloranthan material mainly devoted to a new set of magic rules (the simple version of the new magic rules, that is).

Aside from the difference in background material, there are some important rules changes. 2nd Edition rules are simpler in some ways but some people prefer the first edition (or Mythic Russia which explains the rules better, but has greatly simplified magic rules - as well as a different setting).

In first Edition, the commonly known Common Magic for each area is listed in the Homeland sections. It's not really a "spell list" and nowhere near complete. Don't be limited by the short descriptions in the rulebook ! Each Sartarite Clan, for instance, will usually have it's own special Common Magic Spells, Charms and Feats. Bloodlines will probably have a few of their own - and quite possibly Talents that run in the family too.