Re: Friendly NPC Ability Scores

From: SARAH <sarah.newton5_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 11:45:14 -0000

Hi Matthew,

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea I'm rolling tons of dice against myself from - as I mentioned in an earlier post, that's certainly *not* what I'm doing. :-)

Likewise with the idea that I might be adding to the HQ rules - from my previous posts also you can probably tell I'm obsessive about understanding the implications of the Rules As Written. I have no desire to house-rule. However, the HQ2 rules are quite complex, and sometimes require a close reading to understand their implications fully. I fully agree that a background in more traditional RPGs can lead to expectations of the HQ2 rules which aren't borne out by the rules themselves - I've blogged a few times about this.

If you read the Relationships chapter carefully you'll see that "Robin wrote the rules" in such a way as to make it clear that Supporting Characters *do* have stats - check out Audley's Reporter ability, for example. Also, whilst I agree that players are rolling "against the story", there are interesting rules features such as the Multiple Opponent Penalties which suggest that sometimes players aren't *just* rolling against a story resistance, but somehow against that story-level resistance distributed across multiple separate instances of that resistance. How those two facts (Audley's stats and the Multiple Opponent rules) gel with the 'story resistance only' rules base is extremely interesting - and what I'm trying to fathom. Unless, of course, you ignore them and houserule. ;-)

Incidentally, I enjoy villains and opponents in my HQ games to be as richly textured as the situations and the story. That doesn't automatically equate to stat blocks - in many cases, I provide myself with a bullet point list of what the Zorak Zorani Death Lord can do in order to facilitate my narrator descriptions - mechanically that's no different from using a paragraph of prose, and a damn sight easier to read in the heat of play. Knowing *how* to describe an opponent (or even an ally) is a far cry from slipping down some presumed dark and doomed path to detailed NPC stats. I thoroughly enjoy the pfc and pretty much use it exclusively, and keep a separate pfc for each character; I consider it absolutely central to the HQ2 rules, without which I'd be in arbitrary subjectivity territory, which personally I dislike.

Cheers,

Sarah