Re: Re: Friendly NPC Ability Scores

From: matthew.cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 15:24:43 +0000

Heya

I can see that we're pretty much on the same page :) I hope you realise that I only had this thread to go on when formulating what I thought would be a helpful post? From the tone of your reply, it seems that I used the wrong tone in my post - please accept my apology for any offense caused; I assure you it was only (since I don't know you) trying to cover a few bases at once with supporting information. I am aware that posts can have unintentionally direct style, my pre-send re-read didn't seem that way though.

I myself mostly use a subset of the full HQ2 rulebook, keeping the more complex stuff for special or very fitting occasions. I find complex rules often represent increased work and can be counter to my desired comfort level. You seem to have a more complete knowledge of the text than I; a cursory search of the HQ book for "Supporting Characters" revealed that an example (possibly the same one you mention, about the reporter) does indeed have a reference to an ability rating for a supporting character but my reading suggests it's just the base resistance (+ PFC/Story Logic) being spoken of as if it were an Ability. Perhaps you can show me what you're talking about?

When I read "Multiple Opponent Penalties" I see a simple way to aggregate opposition and that the base resistance (plus PFC or story logic) is the "ability" which is rolled against.

Robin has a very good command of language and an admirable ability to pick the right word for the usage, however I think this ability can sometimes be a flaw because: the right word for that situation is (indeed) "ability" but his game system already used that word and its use here implies something other than base resistance + PFC/Story Logic. I wish he'd used a bold, capitalised word (e.g. "*Ability*") for all game-system term usages.

Can you link me to your blog? I'd be interested to read about your comparisons with trad gaming (or any other pieces you have on the subject of HQ). Interesting that you keep separate PFC tracks for each character; I had considered the same but (so far) have been too lazy to try it :)

I thought that PFC was in opposition to recording Ability scores for NPCs; do you not think so?

Thanks for your reply :)