Re: Feats and their Descriptions

From: Wesley Quadros <wquadros_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 12:57:20 -0700

hw-rules_at_egroups.com wrote:

> Message: 12
> Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 18:40:29 +0300 (EET DST)
> From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
> Subject: feats and descriptions
>

> So. I still claim that the authors did have a reason for each of the
> feats they put in. What puzzles me is why the hell don't we get told the
> meanings of the feats...

I will give you advance warning then about She Guards Us. We are putting feats in that are deliberately designed to be ambiguous.

I still see Sunset Leap as being open to interpretation. Does this mean that they player can leap across the country? ACross the tula? Across the creak? Or does it mean he can leap as high as the planet?

> > > Lightning sword:
> > >
> > > (What's this supposed to mean... a sword charged with lightning... a
> > > bolt of lightning wielded as a sword... an enchantment that makes the
> > > sword move lightning fast...)
> >
> > All of those sound plausible to me. The first might give an edge (to
> > Close Combat), second would allow direct attacks using the feat, the
> > third gives a bonus.
>
> That sucks. We are not playing scrabble. This is no way to run a
> FRP. Either it's an adjective meaning "swift" or it refers to actual
> crackling stormfire, and I want to know.

Why does it suck? Try using some imagination here. You are FRPing so you must have some. We have used it in two different ways (the same person). Yes his blade turned into a bolt of lightning and chopped things up like a light sabre. (When last we met, You were the Master. Now I am the Master..zzzzzz) He has also thrown it at a person light a lightning bolt (luckily it killed the person or he would have been without a sword).

If you do not like using your imagination when you FRP then go play Rulemonster. (I hit him with my short sword, using my left hand and he has scale mail. Okay, table 14b-4L shows...wait! I have a nick in my blade. Oh, 14b-4L/5n is the correct table then).

> > And it would stifle creativity. If the feat is "Cause Wound" pure and
> > simple, you can bid what you want, describe it how you want, and use
> > the contest results to see how well it worked.
> >

> I'm afraid David that I feel the overwhelming flexibility that makes
> all attack magic same as any other to be lessening creativity, not
> adding to it. It will come down to (I hit him with 20AP of magic)

Only if you elect to describe it that way. You should hear our Vingkotling using his movement magic and his spear magic. He has had magical earth spears leap out of the ground to impale attackers. He has hurled statues at them with ovement magic. He has distracted them with auto-fighting spears while teleporting behind them.

When my storm voice attacks somebody with wind magic I usually do bid 10-20 AP. But I am slamming them into a wall with a gust of wind. I am lashing their face with icy wind and pellets, I am throwing them into the ceiling with whirlwind or I am sucking the breath out of their lungs with a vaccum.

I don't know how you can find that this lessens creativity.

Cheers,

Wesley