Re: RuneQuest! Booo! Hisss! etc....

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:46:44 -0400

Jonas Schi�tt wrote:

> David Cake:
> > Yep. Jonas wants RQ attack/defend exchanges.
>
> Quite apart from the fact that this is an oversimplification of my
> opinions...
>
> It strikes me as odd that there's such a strong anti-RQ sentiment on this
> list. Did all you people really hate that game so intensely during the
> years you were forced to endure it? Or is it that you loved it dearly,
> but now it's gone forever and the separation trauma is causing a reverse
> reaction?

No, but after 10 years, the game is a wee bit dated. And, perhaps, we'd rather try to play Hero Wars rather than try to reproduce all the nittygrittybitties of RuneQuest. Different game. Different approach.

> Perhaps you don't want to pollute this brand new, revolutionary gaming
> system we call Hero Wars with concepts from other, older gaming systems?
> Nah, that can't be it. Because the combat resolution that David and
> others are putting forth is copped directly from Pendragon.

Yes, that is more or less true. We're trying to figure out how to play Hero Wars as Hero Wars, not as "RuneQuest: TNG" Or at least, I'm not. Your game may differ, of course.

> I dunno, maybe Pendragon is regarded as 'in', while RQ is 'out'? ('p�'
> och 'av' f�r alla er svenskar) Or maybe you've been playing PDP and
> didn't really want to change systems at all...

Um, try not to be quite so er, well, bitter sounding?

I'll just say this about Pendragon: It doesn't take 10 minutes to kill someone and there was more to the game than just swords. That was one of its advantages.

> It's not that I desperately want to describe combat in any particular
> way. I'm trying to _first_ find an interpretation of the rules that's
> balanced to my satisfaction and _then_ look at how the numbers can be
> translated into descriptive language without absurdity arising.

> Jonas Schi�tt
> G�teborg

I realize that your satisfaction is important but there's a fair number of folks who differ on how to play the game. I'd rather not see 'one true way to play the game' debates springing up...

Jeff