Re: Missle combat as enemies charge

From: Rex Bean <rexabean_at_...>
Date: Thu Sep 16 11:42:17 2010

G'day all,

I ran into this problem in a module I just wrote for a convention here in Australia. Sable riders charging up hill at PCs, who wanted to throw a javelin before using their spears in Close Combat

Wulf:

>Personally, when there's no way for the targets

> to shoot back, I will run missile combat as
> simple contests, then switch to close combat as
> an extended (group) contest on contact.

I decided on the same solution of javelin skill vs ride skill (attempt to maneuver sable out of the way). I also compared the javelins throwers skill as APs vs the ride skill as APs.

Since the PCs had a greater skill than the ride of the Sable riders: a minor victory would have produced a -1 wound, a major victory injured -50% (and the rider withdraws if he makes a ride roll), and a complete victory would have the sable rider dying.

If the PCs had less javelin skill than the riders I would have lifted each consequence up by one (or even 2 levels if the ride was > 2 x the javelin). This seemed in keeping with the spirit of the rules without having to get complicated.

When I asked Roderick and Greg they just said play it to the story and make it as compicated or as easy as the dramatic tension suggests.

Cheers, Andrew