Re: Scorpion Hall

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:22:53 -0700

> >heroes).
> >>
> >> Since you can always attempt to withdraw from a contest, i don't see
> >> why you shouldn't be allowed a final action to escape a coup de grace
> >> (as long as you are conscious and reasonably free to move). Otherwise
> >> the death toll on player heroes could become quite high.
> >
> >Remember, he has already lost (-7 AP). If he were at 1AP he could try to
> >withdraw under that rule, but you can't when you've already been
defeated.

> Read what i write. When do you attempt a Final Action? After you've
> been defeated, that's when.

When you have been defeated *and are given the opportunity*. It requires a round free of attention from attackers, and can only occur in a Group Extended (because in a non-group extended the fight ends as you cross the 0 AP boundary).

> >Actually, the Skeletons can't CdG the hero at this point - he's not
at -10
> >or less. If the Skeletons were of the sort to take prisoners, it would be
> >reasonable thing to do, but I view them as mindless hack & slashers
(I've
> >known players like that!) that will make sure that he's down. However,
they
> >*can* do a Parting Shot on him.
>
> And the defeated guy can resist that parting shot by attempting to
> escape, no? C'mon, he isn't even Hurting.

He can use "Run Away" as his "defensive" move, certainly. He cannot *initiate* such a move, however. Just like any other action, if the Parting shot fails and the hero gains enough points to get above 0 AP, he's still in the battle, (it requires a Critical on the part of the Hero, and probably a Failur eor Fumble on the attacker/Parting Shot)

> >Part of the problem lies in the mindlessness of the Skeletons - there is
> >no-one there to tell them "kill" or "capture". So, IMG they would simply
> >kill as the "default" command. If the skeletons simply "turn off" when
the
> >hero goes down, I'd allow a Final Action to sneak away.
>
> There's a difference between sneaking away and actively escaping. If
> you successfully escape your aggressor after you've been defeated,
> doesn't mean you become undefeated, it merely means that you aren't
> killed off.

Other, more intelligent monsters might tie you up/knock you out/gloat/do other stupid "intelligent" things. IMG skeletons don't have that instinct, they just continue to chop away until the target is dead. Because the question talked about skeletons, I gave the answer I did. If you get captured by the scorpion queen, you might have a chance (unless she decideds to have a snack at the end of combat...). Other of the monsters might be willing to listen to "reason" (don't kill me, I've got a ransom" - start a new contest using your bargain/fast talk/whine vrs their "Homocidal Mania" perhaps...)

RR