Re: Re: Gloranthan Reality & Hero Wars

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 15:07:51 +0300 (EET DST)

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Robin D. Laws wrote:

<snip>

> The question then becomes which style preference to
> pick. I proposed the freeform, narrative-based
> style to Greg because:
>
> 1) It was in my judgment the best way to allow
> GMs and players to emulate Greg's Gloranthan
> fiction.
>
> 2) Going light on the stats meant that we could
> include more non-rules specific information in
> each supplement. This would allow the gamers who
> inevitably favor other styles to find in the
> books a much higher percentage of useful information
> to adapt to Runequest, GURPS, Ars Magica, or whatever.
>
> If I'd chosen to target a different audience segment,
> I'd still have alienated 25% of the current audience.
> You might be happy, Mikko, but others would not.

In fact I have no problem with your choise. The rules lite approach let's me use the new stuff, and keep playing with any system I choose. My worries now are

  1. The description of the feats (and the rest of the magic) have been taken to such extremes in vagueness that even a HC veteran and scholar of Glorantha can't figure out what was meant by the name.
  2. The hysteric avoidance of rules and clear definitions will drive away or at least seriously confuse the very new gamers you (and me) are hoping to attract.

I and some others aren't asking for much. We say that the new system lacks description, just a bit, but a critical amount. All the gamers and GM's I know pay to _understand_ the world they are going to run games in. I think Hero Wars is failing to clear that marker, not by much, but it is.

> This is no doubt small consolation to you, since you
> happen to fall within the group whose RPG preferences
> are incompatible with HW's approach. But I was never naive
> enough to think the game would or could appeal to everyone.

In fact I think it's an impressive work, and I have quite sincearly encouraged people here to buy it. But I think that the avoidance of clear information has gone too far. It's written for people who already know Glorantha, and is seriously bewildering to newcomers.

> This message doesn't make HW into a game based on
> a design philosophy that matches your preferences,
> Mikko, but I hope it helps you to understand the
> decisions behind the creation of a game that doesn't
> suit you.
>
> Take care >>> Robin

I'm aware of this Robin. I knew what I was buying when I got my copy of HW. Believe it or not, but my criticism and suggestions are meant to be constructive. I want Hero Wars to succeed. At the moment I see it as a good, novel, product, but I think it could be great. We need to keep the strengths, and work on the weaker parts.

Pax,

        -Adept