Re: Combat System

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:26:23 -0700

Frederik

>When a combatant reaches 0 APs, he will be allowed to make a test of
>an ability such as toughness or braveness (with a negative modifier
>if he is wounded or injured). If he succeeds he will be allowed to
>carry on fighting. The negative modifiers of being wounded or injured
>will however be applied for the remaining combat.

I believe we playtested something very much like this (without the last sentence, which is well worth adding, though there's no modifier for being at zero...). It meant that anyone with any sense made sure to have Toughness.

I for one don't really like "must-have" abilities. (In our recent GURPS game, almost all characters ended up with Disease Resistance, because we were playing in the 11th Century and the GM said he was going to run a very realistic game. So everyone had the advantage and it wasn't realistic :-)

Of course, the current Final Action rules are related, but temper the "must-have" nature by allowing only one action.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein