Re: Digest Number 261

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 19:36:21 +0300 (EET DST)

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Thom Baguley wrote:

> >> I think shepherding is difficult. A shepherd will have to constantly tend
> >> the sheep to avoid disease and probablty treat common ailments too. You can
> >> lose the entire flock through inattention (I'm reminded of Gabriel Oak at
> >> the beginning of Far from The Madding Crowd).
> >>
> >> Thom
> >
> >Ok if sheep care and animal madicine are included in sheepherding. So
> >the skill is actually "keeping and growing sheep", is it?
> >
> > -Adept
>
> You can't be a shepherd without learning to tend sheep. Even in modern
> farming people who keep animals tend them to avoid them becoming diseased
> (if only because vets are expensive).
>
> Thom

I tought sheep herding was a skill known by young (Variof age) orlanthi kids, and has to do with, well, herding sheep. Doesn't animal husbandry, animal medicine and such go under another (several) skills?

I don't have to know how to help a sheep give birth to be able to get them going in the right direction.

        -Adept