Low Level Campaign Massageing Re: Digest Number 256

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 04:20:07 -0000

Mmmm. Some of us have jobs that mean we have to spend the day monitoring email and are bored to tears... =(

> We're taking existing chaarcters, whose place in the clan is known
> and
> understood. RQ did a lousy job of representing them in many cases,
so
> I'm ignoring the RQ numbers and trying to concentrate on the
> characters as understood.

That's what I'd do. Job and religion and then fiddly bits, but not necessarily in that order...

> I wondered about that. He's devoted to Orlanth (small "d"), but not
> really up to the skill and knowledge levels implied by being a
> Devotee.

Devotee doesn't require knowlege. It requires dedictation. And a certain fanatical... devotion. He'd get the piety and the like at a lower level and have to pay the higher cost. Remember, devotees have to start somewhere too.

> Which is why I insist they're all competent (1W) at one skill
useful
> to the clan. For most of them, that's a craft/herding type of
skill.
> My godi's apprentice picked "Pray to Orlanth" for his 1W skill.

Well, possibly. But I'd say that a few 13's in things that are of use
would be okay too. Afterall, the youngster might have a knack for something strange and been encouraged.

> You're not the only one to suggest it: I'm considering an increase.
> My
> original reasoning was that this is the level at which skills start.

12 is Just Bought. 13 implies at least a bit of training.

> > but you're working at a
> > level of the game where the system might break down.
>
> Really? I thought it was designed to be scalable?

Its scalable but at the lower end, you tend to fail a lot and it can become VERY frustrating to players, particularly if you have simple contests.
=
> > and that the heroes
> > will have trouble advancing to more 'adult' stats.
>
> Don't follow. In what way will they have trouble?

Costs LOTS of HP to get to that 17's.

> Probably. Is there a collection of extra keywords on-line somewhere?

Wesley's got some keywords on his site but most of them are not common
ones, I think.

Oh! One comment on trying to squeeze in 2 keyward at lower abilities,
which I think is bad and crippling to the unfortunate PC is to look at
the 100 word desc.

Example: Thorvald is a warrior of the Black Oaks clan and devoted to Hedkoranth. Inhis youth, he helped his father the brewer. He even learned the secret of King's Ale. Most of his free time was spent wandering in the hills exploring....

>From that, we can get (at your selected level)...
Warrior 13
Devotee of Hedkoranth 13
Relationship: Father 13
Brewing 13
Brew King's Ale 13
Tula Geography 13

...at the least. Thus, we don't have to give two weakened keywrods but give one occupation and the rest as 'pick up' skills -- in your case (being at the 13 level) its perfect.

> It's the same world, just a different way of describing it. A
better
> way, I think. I can describe these characters much better with HW
> than

I have to agree.

> This *is* the game as written. You chose the power of your
"series":
> low, medium, high. This one is low, at the moment.

It may be harder to make the jump but I'd be interested in seeing how it goes for you. I don't think anyone else is trying this, or at least, no one else has confessed to it. =)

> > is in the FAQ (if not, it certainly should be). There's no
reason
> > take the LOWER, after all.
>
> But there could be plenty of reason to take the sum of the two. Or,
> more likely the higher + a bit. Otherwise the additional lower
skill
> just gets lost.

Not sure why it would be a 'sum' That would be... strange, I think. But I have given the higher with a +1 for every other occurance of the
ability in other keywords. It works well enough in practice. I try to err on the side of generosity when making characters as its only an
xp I'm giving away.

> > Give the heroes a stand alone feat. That's how we handle neat
stuff
> > given by Hero Band spirits. See Barntaros, The Hidden Gale in the
> > Narrator's book or the extra stuff in the boxed set for details.
>
> Nice idea, but the Affinity to the plant is exactly what I was
trying
> to express for the bloodlines all along. Only RQ wouldn't do it.

One problem with this is that an affinity is pretty useful and I am not sure that something like a plant spirit would profice something as
broadly based as an affinity -- Dave suggested that as a rule of thumb
for determining whether or not something gets a feat or an affinity is
to see if its as popular as Vangarth The Flyer (who has a few folks in
almost *every* clan). He gets an affinity. Someone like Barntar (with about 100 worshippers) or a clan hero would get a feat (or two).
 The Travel Tourist Heroine gives an Affinity and has about 700 worshippers, if that's of use to you.

But if its exactly like you want, perhaps the plant deity is tougher/bigger than it appears? Or its misapplied worship (hides under rock)

> That's an idea. In fact, in one case I *know* it's true, though the
> bloodline in question don't... they came to this area a long time
ago
> from the NW, fleeing persecution, and they worship a female reed
> spirit with very long legs, called "Enslib". They have no idea who
or
> what she was originally. What's left of her no longer has a
language
> in common with them.

She's probably going to give a feat but, if you get more contact with her, more powers are revealed (there's a section on that in Theistic Magic). But its neat little bits of that that make Glorantha such a joy to play with. And HW does let you do the fiddly bits a heck of a lot better. At least, IMHO.

> And the rest of the bunch: well, I'm sure lots of clans have a
thing
> about Oak trees.

I think every clan has SOMETHING neat of its own.

> > I just hope those weren't my sheep. I just stole them, darnit.
> Errrm... we'll put them back when we're done, OK?

No, no. Its quite alright. The Gagarthi will be along later to pick them up.

Jeff