Re: Nasty trickster

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 21:26:55 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Andrew Barton wrote:

> > Well not rape. I don't see Eurmal as that nasty (certain eurmali may
> cross the border though).
>
> Oh, I do. One of the RQ3 aspects was Murderer, after all.

Murder and rape are very different. Especially with the orlanthi.

> There's a good account of the Navajo view of Trickster in one of Tony
> Hillerman's books. It's not to hand, but from memory a shaman is saying
> that people like to tell stories of trickster as a joker and cute and
> cuddly, but he's also responsible at times for every bad thing in the
> world.

I translate this as "He's blamed for every bad thing in the world". I think Eurmal is a much misunderstood figure.

> I wouldn't want to have a PC trickster with a rape affinity, though.
>
> Andrew

As I said, individual people can do the most horrible things in the name of Eurmal, and unfortunately most people will believe them.

        -Adept